Saturday, March 6, 2010

More Notation

I'm going to interrupt our regularly-scheduled discussion of factor groups to inroduce a few notational conventions I've been avoiding that I now think are going to be necessary. First, I've been using Z(n) to denote the cyclic group of order n, but the standard notation is Zn so that's what I'll be using from now on. (The answer to your next question is that I have no idea why I didn't just introduce it as Zn to begin with.) Also, in multiplicative groups, I'm going to start leaving out the ∙ most of the time. That is, instead of a∙b I will usually just write ab from now on. Along those same lines, I'm going to start leaving out a lot of parentheses - especially in cosets. Where I would have written (aN)∙(bN) = (a∙b)N I will generally write aNbN = abN in the future. These conventions are not just my laziness - I do it that way because that's the way everyone else does it. I will admit, though, that the reason that these things have become convention - and the reason behind most mathematical convention - is because mathematicians before me are lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment